Saturday, August 29, 2009

Learning sign language.

Some time ago my company recruited a new member of the family, to help out with the routines. Moon was an exceptionally enthusiastic person, who unfortunately could not speak or hear well due to an episode of high fever during his childhood. He wears a hearing aid on the right and lives like a normal person - just like us.

Many a times, he could understand things better and faster than the rest of us. Often I think that because he could not hear well, he compensated it with his sight - he catches and fathoms body languages better than many of us. As a result of that, often we find it easier to communicate to him, rather than to certain people who could actually hear and speak normal.


While he tried his best to understand our unsynchronized body languages and gestures, we tried to learn and understand sign language. I remembered many years ago when I graduated from high school, I tried to pick up sign language - but it was not successful. Now however, I can do the A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H.. all the way until Y. I often forget how to make "Z" and some other alphabets, but I know that in time, I will master it.

That's because learning is a process fully mastered when you live with it.

You want to learn to be patient? Live it. Every time you feel the blood boiling in you, give yourself another five seconds. Perhaps another ten, or twenty, or a minute, or ten, or twenty minutes.

If you do this everyday, you'll eventually be a patient person. =)