Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Promises of Problems - 1

The Promises of Problems
by Mary Southerland

Today's Truth
"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good." Genesis 50:20

Friend to Friend
If you are like me, you prefer days when the sun is shining, the sky is blue, and not a cloud in sight. Problems tend to irritate me because they make me realize just how frail I am as a human. But I have come to realize that every problem points to a promise.

Promise of direction
God uses problems to show us the way. We would walk through the wrong door if He didn't close it. Years ago, I dated a young man I thought I would marry. We had it all worked out. He was a preacher and I played the piano and sang. What could be more perfect? I began to pray, "Lord, if he is not the one, just close the door!" The very next conversation I had with this young man ended our relationship and resulted in my taking a church staff position that led me to Dan Southerland. I look back and thank God for that closed door.

"Sometimes it takes a painful situation to make us change our ways." Proverbs 20:30

Source: Crosswalk: Girlfriends in God