Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Corneal ulcer victim

Mimi was a quiet shih tzu, a very obedient one that follows all instructions that the owners gave. When I first saw her, she was a rugged, old-looking puppy with matted hair all over her body and face. I shaved her bald on the consultation table within 30 minutes, without a single act of rebellion from her. Good dog! or, sickly dog?

Mimi had really bad corneal ulcers which required surgery. However due to cost constraint, the owner was not able to afford it. Thus we gave Mimi a conservative try - with medicine. As the owners were busy, Mimi had to stay with us in the clinic for the next few days.
This was poor Mimi, the head trapped in a device we called E-collar
(Elizabethan collar)
A few minutes after the owners left, I tried to approach Mimi. To my surprise, the gentle puppy have turned into a repulsive monster! She yapped, barked, growled and tried to bite me. Onlookers were whispering amongst themselves, "Wow! So fierce, that dog!"

Deep within, I knew the reason behind her act. I understood that Mimi was not fierce afterall.

to be continued...