Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Keys... Part 2

When I walked, my keys jangled and the metallic sound could easily be mistaken for that made by lots of silver coins. I always had to be extra careful when I used a public toilet. Too much haste would result in my trousers dropping onto the floor with a loud clang. The guy next door would think that my money pouch had dropped while I was secretly counting my silver coins obtained from a dubious source. I really loathed having keys in my pockets, but I could not get rid of them.

Many years ago, I had the opportunity of going to the U. S. A. I visited a friend in his home town, and stayed with him for a week. I was pleasantly surprised to find that he never locked his house, room, or car, and there was no fence around his house. I told him how I loathed having keys back home and expressed my admiration for him for being "light-pocketed".

"This is a small community where everybody knows everybody," he said, "but don't do what I do when you go to the big cities."

I really hoped that in the Kingdom of God, there would be no keys. Otherwise I would be truly disappointed. Jesus promised us that in His Father's house there are many rooms. He was going there to prepare a place for us. Would I need a key there? O, please...

... to be continued...

No comments: