Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Keys.. Part 1

this is an excerpt from Asian Beacon, an article by Weng Hui Qing. I just find it worth while to share. =)

---
I really loathed having keys. i had too many keys but was helpless about it. they were always a necessary evil. i needed a set for the house. one set because there was the French window, the metal grill lock and the outer gate. there was a second set for my work place; metal gate, front door, room and laboratory. i needed a third set for a ministry that i served; outer gate, metal grill lock, side door, wooden door and drawer. and then there was this set for the church premises. if i drove, i would need my car keys for ignition, gear box lock and steering wheel. if i rode my motorcycle, i needed a separate set. o, yes, they steal motorcycles too, either whole or in parts, so i had keys for ignition, rear box and wheel lock.

if i forgot any key at anytime, i had nobody to blame but myself. to be sure, i wasn't a forgetful person. it was just that being very busy, i was always in a hurry, and taking the wrong bunch of keys was a most likely occurrence. to make my life more efficient, the safest bet was to carry all my keys. fortunately i had many key chains that friends gave me after their return from overseas trips. so whenever i went out of my house, i would have two sets of keys in my left trouser pocket, another three sets in my right pocket, including the ones for my wheels. the trouble was that i had other things to carry as well.

these included my cell phone, my wallet and my sunglasses. these, together with my keys, coupled with the merciless force of gravity, always weighed down my trousers which i tried to keep in place on my 29-inch waist. The fact that all my trousers were size 30 did not help. i didn't know why all the sales promoters in town always encouraged me to buy trousers one size bigger. they said i would be fatter next year, but their prediction never came true. The result was that i developed the bad habit of pulling up my trousers every now and then.

... to be continued....

No comments: