Saturday, February 13, 2010

Learn from the lessons of a life guard - never quit, persevere, motivate

Learn from the lessons of a life guard - never quit, persevere, motivate

As I deal with people from all walks of life everyday, I get demotivated very easily. Especially in the customer service area - no matter what clients do or treat you, scorn you, you must still SMILE and give them top service. Well, superficially it's called, "Professional customer service".

But you know what? Most the the things that drain people off their desire to move on, or that push people to quit what they're doing are not things that we see from the outside, superficial. It is what's churning WITHIN a person that drives or drains the person. I have even come to a point where I thought, forget about helping or servicing these people. I've better things to focus my energy at.

But you know what? Just as I was about to give up, God miraculously (again) opened doors and gave me hope to linger on, until today I heard a message about the lessons learned from a life guard. It's not about swimming. It is, "Even when people are not nice, we must not stop doing what God has called us to do."
Drowning people are not very nice. When you try to save them, they grab, stab, slap and even drown you. Every life guard knows this. If you are drowning and I am about to save you, and you slap me, and I retreated, "Wah, you're not very nice huh, I'm not going to save you." And I swim back.
NO LIFE GUARD EVER DO THAT!!
It's the same thing with life. People are not always nice. But it must not stop us from doing what God has called us to do. Develop the inner capacity. Press on, persevere, even when you cannot go on anymore. Have the robust faith in God, just do not quit.
Stay faithful in your humble assignments, and in due time God will extend your territories.
Learn it from the mighty men of David in 2 Samuel 23 (Adino, Eleazar and Shammah).
[Partially extracted from Pastor Benny Ho's preaching on Triumphant through Tough Times.)