Sunday, November 29, 2009

Dog teeth (carnassial, canine tooth) care - scaling & polishing

I'm used to seeing dogs and cats being anaesthetized. But everytime I think of my own pet (dog or cat) being anaesthetized - I'd cry.

The thought of them falling unconscious and fully depend on human for their life is just unbearable for me. I want my pets to be happy, conscious all the time - even when they're sleeping, I can always wake them up anytime I like.
One simple procedure that always require general anaesthesia for dogs is Scaling and Polishing. Why? Simply because of the expensive and sharp-edged instruments used in the procedure. Thus I always make it a point to check my Toffee's teeth every week. The moment I start to see plaque formation, I'd remove it manually with my fingers. Then brush the teeth and gums daily with tooth brush and plain water.
Honestly he dislikes it. But he's already five years old this year - teeth care is vital.

Red arrows pointed at yellow plaques beginning to take place in the canine and carnassial teeth. It's only the beginning....

No comments: