Sunday, September 23, 2007

a trip to sarawak - part 9

We slept peacefully around 10.30pm. In the midst of my sleep, I could hear rolling thunders and strong powerful wind slashing the leaves and branches. Eyes still closed, I realized it was raining very heavily. But there was no fear in me. No doubt. Just peace.

In my sleep, I prayed, "Oh God, let the time now still nite, not morning yet.. so tat by 6am tomorrow the rain would have stopped.. give us a good weather to climb the Pinnacles tomorrow... God, please do not let the climb be cancelled tomorrow.. i don want to cancel my dear climb... in Jesus' name I pray, amen..." Then I doze off peacefully.

Early next morning I woke up around 6.15am. The first thing that came into my mind was, "how is the weather? Was the rain last nite real?" I rushed outside the hostel. To my relief, the sun is beaming from behind the mountains, sky was very clear, except for wet forest floor. Yes, the rain was real. But it had stopped some time ago.

Jun and I took light breakfast and hurried to get ready for the climb. We had planned to start the climb at 7am. However at 7.15, some of us were still packing and doing last minute stuff.. Henry urged us few times, "We are 20min late... bla bla bla..." So we started walking into the forest. 6 of us (me, jun, in, bor, mun, rina), 1 guide.

Then we reached a place where we started to see huge rocks and a sign board stating, "The Pinnacles" (or something like that, i can't remember tat well ok).. "1.4km height... 8 hours climb.. 3L water..." Henry, whom had been walking ahead of all of us turned around. Looked at us grimly.

"You know it rained heavily yesterday? The climb is supposed to be cancelled. Coz our rule is, if it rained the night before the climb, the climb must be cancelled, becoz the rocks will be too slippery and wet - very dangerous. But i know that all of you came this far just to climb the Pinnacles. So I talked them out to proceed with this climb. So you must all be very very careful during the climb. The rocks are very slippery. If any of you get hurt, i'll be in deep trouble."

We nodded. Thank God the climb was on. God, keep all of us safe, please...

No comments: