Thursday, September 06, 2007

a trip to sarawak - part 2

The rocks flooring deer cave were big, wet, slippery and dangerous. To make things worse, it was pitch dark inside the cave and the rocks were covered with guanos (bats' droppings)! yaiks! And to make things worse for myself, my torch light ain't got battery. In fact, i was "gently" reprimanded by two guides at different times - Baqly & Johnny.

"Mana torch light?"
"Dalam beg."
"Apasal simpan dalam beg?"
"Takde batteri." Good for you, he thought. Baqly's a nice guide, coz instead of punishing me for not bringing a torch, he lit up my paths with his own torch. Praise God. =) Johnny was not that nice, instead of helping me out, he laughed and even mimicked my goose-steppings, "Macam orang buta jalan, hi hi hi.." And he walked past me laughing by himself while exaggeratively goose-stepping. Good for you, i thought.

I had wanted so much to take pictures inside the cave, but it was too dark - the photos would turn out ugly. Besides, as I climbed the rocks with both hands and legs, I've got a little guanos stuck onto my finger tips. How to take picture, especially when the camera is a borrowed one?

The rock-crawling-climbing experience in deer cave was rather easy for both me n jun, coz we don't have to use much upper strength, instead our feet just tap tap tap and we're up on the next rocks. Even so, I kept asking Jesus to watch after me and catch me if i fall. I don't want any injury you see, coz this is only the beginning of our 8-day trip in sarawak. However, it was tough for both KY and Jo that they had to literally sink their hands and bodies into the thick layer of guanos in order crawl/climb the rocks. Few times they slipped and fell and injured here n there...
I thank God for He strenghtened their hearts to continue the adventure despite the hurts and wounds.
After the rocks, we had to wade across the streams in the cave, it was basically stepping unto wet, slippery, acupuncture pebbles.

And the following journey was the river/streams...

No comments: