Sunday, March 27, 2011

Catching a stray dog (which is infamous for aggression, lesson from Cesar Milan, with God's favour)

Catching a stray dog (which is infamous for aggression, lesson from Cesar Milan, with God's favour)

I usually do not like to write the details about my work, but today an exceptional thing happened. It was not an ordinary day, and I must write it down - so that I'll remember the details, in years to come. ;-)

Today I received a call, by a person whom sounded very desperate over the phone - claiming that Majlis Perbandaran went to her housing area to catch a few stray dogs. Of the stray dogs, there were two which she successfully "trapped" into an empty house compound. She requested my help to go to the house and catch the dogs, so that the dogs can be neutered and then transferred into a doggy farm.

Upon reaching the house, the lady came to me, introducing herself as someone who fears dog. I was surprised, but was glad that despite her fear she managed still to lure the dogs into the house compound. There were 2 dogs - one was a labrador cross, while the other a belgian shepherd cross. The labrador was tied onto a post, while the belgian was left running around freely in the compound. They could not tie the belgian because it's very fierce.

As I walked near the house, the labrador began growling and barking me, threatening me, but I got hold of the string (thank God, the lab did not strike me), and got her into a pet carrier. Now the real problem...

After putting the lab into the pet carrier, another neighbour actually walked out and talked to the lady rescuer. THey were chit chatting, saying how a gentle and nice doggy this lab was, how they wanted her as their pet, have they had a place. And then they talked about the belgian which was still sleeping behind a car in the house compound.

"That dog ah, very fierce one! Yesterday when I walked near, he jumped out at me and wanted to bite me! Bad dog, I'll never keep him as a pet! bla bla bla (negative comments stacked one upon the other, about the belgian cross doggy). I gulped. I requested them to go to a far away place, so that neither me nor the belgian will be distracted by them.

"You're not scared ar?" The lady asked me.
"No, I'm not, "
I paused for a moment. "Please pray for me," I continued.

It did not matter to me, however they may pray, but I called upon my God, "Dear Lord, you are my God. Forgive me all my wrong doings. Please, grant me your favour that this dog will submit to me, I will be safe. I do not want any bite. Please Lord, cover me."

With that, I opened the gate, made my first step into the house compound. Then I heard sounds coming out from behind the car. The belgian has awaken. He walked out and stood at a distance from me, staring at me, gauging my motives and moves. I avoided looking at him, and I remembered what I learned from Cesar Milan's videos. This dog is those kind which exhibits territorial aggression.

Very calmly, I assert my dominance with my body language (Cesar's lessons), very slowly taking steps, walking closer to him each time. Then he ran to the other side of the compound. He's giving up his territory! My heart leaped a little. Again, I repeated my steps, calmly, in silence, walking toward him steadily, until the distance between us was a mere 1 metre. I stopped.

He was trembling. I say that's a good sign. But the tail was not in between the legs, so... this dog may be in fear, but he's ready for a fight. I was cautious. I kept praying in my heart. "Please Lord Jesus, keep me safe, make him submit to me."

Then I noticed one of his front leg shaking and making uncertain movements, which reminded me of what Cesar Milan said - this is a sign that the dog is uncertain of what to do next. So I held out my leash, very slowly introduced it around the head, and suddenly, he rocketed off backway.

So I restarted my steps, getting closer to him, until he was cornered. There was a mere 30cm distance between us. He's trembling hard, but what bothered me was the tail was not in between the legs. And his posture was not a submissive one. I remembered the famous chinese saying, "Don't push a dog to a corner, else having nowhere to turn to, he's forced to strike you." I gulped. Prayed. Please Lord Jesus, grant me wisdom. I want to help this belgian. So I waited for him to calm down a little. When he finally sat down, I slowly introduced the leash. With every small jerk coming from him, I countered with an quick but calm, antagonizing posture.

After a few minutes in this positions, he finally allowed me to loop the leash around his head, and BINGO! I got him! PRAISE GOD, FOR HE'S GOOD TO THOSE WHO LOVES & trusts in Him!

Once I got him out of the house compound, he was much relaxed, he licked me, tried to befriend me, and I actually was able to push him into the carrier.

I was so glad,so grateful. I thank God for zero aggression from this belgian, and thank Cesar Milan for his lessons. They were useful. oh yah, I'm safe, so is the belgian.

SUCCESS!! yahooooo......

No comments: