Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Please be honest upfront, do not overpromise. you become...

Please be honest up front, do not give empty promises, don't over promise, don't give promises or words on things which you have no control in, else you become a liar!

That's what I can't tolerate in many people these days. When you requested certain things from them, he/she promises quickly, "Sure can, no prob, no problem at all,I can do it for you, just leave it to me." Very well. It was not even an obligation, just a simple request, and he/she promised to do it for you.

However, when the time nears, he/she without any sense of guilt/remorse tells me, "You must understand.. this is not within my control.. I can't do it for you." Hey, if you have no control over this, in the first place, please do not promise anything. No one is indispensable. If you just tell me an honest no,I could have found enough time to find another person who could have done the job for me.

That's terrible sales. I'll never go backto the same person. I'll never go back and ask any kind of tiny weeny puny favour from this person anymore.
For example, today I went to a shop where my friend is the boss,I often get discounts of 10-20% from my friend. However today when I dropped by the shop, I found that my friend was not around. So I asked the staff, hey, do I still get discount coz your boss is not around?

The staff answered, "Yes, of course, you'll alwasy get discounts over here." I smiled, relieved that I don't have to come back another time.

I shopped for a while, and upon payment (few hundred ringgit) I realized that there is no discount at all. I dazed at the staff, and she quickly told me, "YOu must understand, I'm not the boss here, only the boss can give you discount."

???!!!

LIAR! If shewere to tell me upfront that she can't give me any discount coz she's not the boss, I would have returned another day when my friend's around. I was not disappointed coz of the few ringgit that I could have saved.

I was very disappointed, because this staff had overpromised, knowing very well beforehand that she will not be able to deliver what she says, yet, she still promises. Just to close the sales.
And that's bad.
It makes her a liar.
A bad sales person.
There is no integrity at work.
I lose trust in her.
I'll never deal with her again in future.

I know there are many salesman/woman out there who do the same thing (esp. in direct sales marketing, insurance etc.), but that doesn't make it right, just because the entire world is doing it.

What is wrong remains wrong no matter what the democracy decision is.

No comments: