Sunday, November 26, 2006

Breaking out the news

News are generally divided into 2 categories – good or bad. Well, good news is good, no matter however way you decide to break it, it will still sound good. Same as sweets, kit kat, Cadbury.. no matter how you chew, kiss, munch or lick it – it’s sweet.

Now the next category – bad news – I’ll divide into 2 subsets : poor prognosis and dead. Poor prognosis is the time when the patient is apparently critically ill, and you’ll have to prepare the owner. “Be prepared…” but if she started crying, I can always end the sentence with, “There’s still a chance anyway…” and to be more honest, perhaps I’ll add a few more final words, “Though the chance is extremely slim…”

Not so bad to convey this news. Not so bad indeed…

Now the worst kind of news anyone can hear would be, “He’s dead.” It will not have mattered if the doggie's owner had wanted him dead. But then again, if so, he wouldn’t have brought doggie to the vet in the first place, will he? To save my blog space, let me just conclude: most owners want their doggies/ kitties alive n healthy.

Now, what will happen has finally happened. Little doggie died. How am I supposed to tell the owner? I’ve thought and ran through many methods which can be applied over the phone… and still thinking of better ways. Here are some examples (my imagination):
Option A:
Vet: Harlow! How are you doing?! Hahahaha… I'm fine I'm good.. how's life?
Owner: I'm busy. Very busy right now. (indifferent)
Vet: Oh ya.. ok.. I just called to say that kitty has died.
Owner: What?! Oh no!!! (started deafening you with his cries, and you started wondering, why the sudden change of tone?)

Option B:
Vet: Hello… I'm calling to inform you about kitty. (solemn)
Owner: How's my kitty? (anxious)
Vet: I'm sorry… he left us last night. (sobs)
Conclusion: Words and tones used are sensitive enough. Owner may feel that you’re in the same boat with her – sharing her sorrow. But what if the owner replies with this? “Where did he left to?”
Option C:
Vet: Hi… remember what I told you yesterday?
Owner: Er.. you used more than 500 words yesterday.. which one do you mean? (scratching his head)
Vet: That your kitty may die.. he died.
Owner: I remember you said there may be a chance!
Vet: I told you the chance is slim.
Owner: But a chance is still a chance! You said you'll try your best! How can he die? It's either zero chance or you didn't try your best! I'm gonna sue you! You liar!!
Conclusion: Use less word in such situation. More words = more confusions = more misunderstandings = things will turn out sour.

No comments: